Saturday 13 April 2024

Sepia Saturday 719 - Two Together

First of all, I must pay tribute to Auntie Miriam: she hasn't changed a bit! I looked up an old photograph of her, and judge for yourself. To be fair, the same goes for Frank.

This week's theme suggests that dancing is the favorite subject. So I went through all my shoeboxes but in vain. Apparently, dancing is not one of the favorite activities in our family. I have to admit I never saw any of my relatives on the dance floor. But fortunately, the situation is different in my wife's family. In particular during weddings, the bride and the groom usually start the wedding party on the dancefloor. And always there is also the family photographer with a talent for pressing the shutter at exactly the wrong moment. But maybe that is because he already had a glass or two. The latter is likely also the reason why this shot is just out of focus.

K.S. and S.O in Loosduinen on Sept. 27, 1965
But as I said, it beats my family's dancefloor pictures. 

During the wedding party, many newlyweds leave the festivities and go on their honeymoon. I've got no idea when this habit started but I have a picture of my father's parents in Valkenburg. They went there by train I assume. In those days the 250-kilometer trip from The Hague must have taken almost a day. They married in The Hague on August 15, 1913. The picture below was taken shortly after. 

Andreas Miebies and Lena Bakker
on their honeymoon in Valkenburg
approx. August 1913
The next twosome shows a cousin of my grandfather and his mother. I guess the picture was taken in early 1900. He lived to be 59 years old only! His wife, my dear Auntie Jo, beat him by 42 years!
Johannes Frederikus Miebies (*July 28, 1899)
and his mother Agatha 't Hart (1871-1956)
Johannes passed away just under 3 years after his mother. 
Speaking of mothers, the next picture of my Mum has likely been taken in a photographer's studio as was the custom in those days. As far as I know, street photographers did not exist simply because carrying large cameras was not very handy.
Johanna Huberta de Langen (1917- 2016)
and her doll in approx. 1921
Johanna Huberta was named after both of her grandmothers. Johanna after her father's mother and Huberta ... The rules about naming first kids were rather strict in those days, daddy's side first, and then mammy's side. Also in this respect, the times have changed. But being a genealogist I loved the old naming rules, they provided me with many clues. But apart from these rules, my mother disliked her names, especially the second one. Therefore, she always called herself Ann or Annie. 

The next picture is dear to me as it is one of the few photo's I have portraying my father. Here he is on horseback together with his kid brother Piet. Judging his age at about 10 or 11 years, this image must have been taken in approx. 1935. The location is unknown to me. I never heard my dad owned a horse but I know he was an experienced equestrian. In a letter written during his mobilization on August 31, 1939, he writes to his wife-to-be about a requisitioned horse. My dad was a troop sergeant in an infantry regiment. The horses served to move the artillery from one position to another. He describes the horse as a 'big black devil' not used to being ridden 'under the man'. Apparently, the horse's owner was a funeral company that used the horse to pull hearses. In his letter, my dad expresses the hope that he will be able to tame this horse. In later letters, the black devil is not mentioned again. So I take it this horse, like a good soldier, followed the troop sergeant's orders.
Johannes Cornelis (1914-1945) and  his younger
brother Piet Miebies (1924-2001)
My last contribution to the '2-2gether'-theme concerns a very, very distant family member. And I'm sure you will understand why I consider him to be so distant. The picture below is a kind of ehh, let me call it a stereo photo. The person is the brother of a man whose daughter was married to a brother of my fraternal grandfather. Are you still with me? 
Before I elaborate further on this person, I want to mention his last name which is Chef d'Hotel. In English, this French-sounding name could mean something like 'manager of a hotel'. Whether that is the true meaning or origin of this name, I have no idea. In French, a town hall is called a 'hotel de ville'. So it might also be the rank of a civil servant. In any case, this is his picture. I believe it is called a mugshot and a double one at that. 
Adrianus Chef d'Hotel (1831-1915)
Adrianus was arrested for begging and vagrancy in The Hague on October 20, 1896, and sent off to a penal institution in Veenhuizen in the province of Drenthe. It is safe to assume that he had been there before because this was arrest #9 for the same offense. His records show that he was a tinsmith but obviously, that offered him insufficient funds to make a living.
Also shown are four fingerprints of his right hand. Apparently, the authorities assumed that the little finger was not used in crime. But the prints were not the only thing recorded. On another page of his file (see below) remarkable measurements are mentioned such as the greatest horizontal width of the cheekbones (14.6 cm), the length of the right ear (6.7 cm), the color of the left eye (light blue), the arch of the back (2), and the length of the outstretched arms (1.78 mtr). Criminal investigation in its infancy.
Description card of Adrianus
In addition to these data, there is a description of the right ear consisting of seventeen (!) measurements. Bureaucracy must have started around that time.
Despite all these descriptions Adrianus fled penal institutions several times after which he was arrested again and sentenced for being drunk in public or for begging. 
But possibly, there were reasons for this behavior. His second wife died back in 1887, and for some unknown reason, his first marriage in 1855 fell through at the very last minute. He did not have any children and at the end of his life, he was an invalid. The only company he had was the other guy on his description card. So all in all Adrianus did not have much reason to dance his way through life. 

For more swinging duos, please go to the Sepia Saturday Site.

6 comments:

  1. A nicely varied collection of photographs linking to the prompt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting relationship to Adrianus, who certainly led a hard life indeed. The arrest records about so many details would make it very difficult for someone else to impersonate him, which is wildly unlikely. Ear measurements? But perhaps they thought somehow there were indications of his un-sociable behavior through these measurements. After all, phrenology was around about that time, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. At the end of the 1970s there was a scientist here who gained national fame for his controversial statements about the biological background of crime. He was compared to the Italian prison doctor Lombroso, who in the 19th century believed that criminals could be recognized by their low foreheads or continuous or thick eyebrows. The controversy became too much for this scientist and he decided to become an antiques dealer.

      Delete
  3. Your first image from the wedding baffled me at first as it looked like someone being lashed to a pole, which maybe is a metaphor for marriage. Old naming conventions are strange in the way several generations often share a forename and the middle name (or names) are recycled forenames or even surnames. It gets even more confusing when some languages like Hungarian switch last with first. Maybe numbers would be better.

    I liked your presentation of poor Adrianus's "stereoview". I was struck by his birth year, 1831, which predates the invention of the photography and so many other technologies like trains, electricity, and telephones. But on second thought, just as many advances have occurred in my own life. too. Now I feel old.

    And yes, I do have a LOT of postcards and photographs in my collection. And it keeps getting larger. So many stories left to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A varied and interesting take on the prompt. Yet of everyone, Adrianus' story was the most interesting. Basically, he seems to have been arrested because he was poor, and perhaps drank for the same reason. Those measurements do sound as if unscientific phrenology was applied to him. I hope he at least got to dance at one of his weddings.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated before being published...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...