Sunday 29 December 2019

The Sepia Saturday 500

I strongly believe the Sepia Saturday site radiates a certain magnetism. It explains my infrequent visits after having been a fan a couple of years ago. To avoid misunderstandings, I still am a fan of Alan's sepia invention. It is just that I do not participate as much as I once did and as I would like to. But now that I have seen that "we" have reached the 500 milestone, I feel I must pay my dues once again.
But let's go back to the task that Alan prepared for us. As usual, he did not set any rules so I can shamelessly copy his idea of presenting you with a collage of my previous contributions. And since Alan is a fervent anarchist, he preaches not to adhere to any rules there may be, I will add a few photographs not shown before. In random order, I'll try to give you some background about the various photographs.

In the top left-hand corner, old hands may recognize a member of the RSSSATP handling a Dermochelys coriacea. At the time, it was February 2013, no one knew what RSSetc. stood for. But by now everyone knows that the depicted officer is a member of the Royal Society for the Strategic Study of Advancing Turtles in the Pacific. If you want to know more about this still very hush-hush organization, you'll have to look it up in my blog: SS 164

Next to it my father's handwriting. It is from a 1939 letter when he was in the military and writing to his wife-to-be. His letters are dear to me as they belong to the very few things he left behind when he was shot just before the end of the war. At the time I was a little over a year old. The letter is shown in SS 150.

The watch is what we call a vest pocket watch. It belonged to my maternal grandfather. I can't remember having seen him wearing it, but in my imagination, I can see him lifting it out of his vest pocket and looking at it. He was a man of his time and I value my (fond) memories of him. SS 164 refers again.

The picture in the middle, showing the bus, was taken in Göttingen (Germany) during a school trip my mother made back in 1933. As you can clearly see she looks at us from her rooftop position. She is the one on the very right. Her lifelong friend Ina is next to her. SS 155.

In the middle to the left a colourfull telegram sent to my dad and mum on the occasion of their marriage on November 18, 1942. The friends who send it obviously had no idea the marriage would last for two and a half years only. SS 162.

I'll come to the 'centerfold lady' later.

The tower and the street on the right-hand side are in German Dausenau a/d Lahn. Like the picture with the bus, also this one was taken during one of my mother's school trips in the early thirties. The object that drew my attention in this picture, is the SS-banner over the street. It is clearly election time as it says: Adolf Hitler schaft Arbeit und Brot. Wählt Liste 2. Translated that is: Adolf Hitler provides labor and bread. Vote list 2.
At that time he still listed 2. But we all know what happened... 
In this case, I hesitate to abbreviate the relevant Sepia Saturday number. So it is 154.

The picture underneath is the cover of the Sepia Saturday jubilee issue. It was published by Alan to celebrate SS 200. One of my blogs is there as well. It made my name as a writer in the family :-)


Please click to enlarge

The military trio you see on the left is the Eberlé trio. It was part of the 47th Landweer Battalion Hunters during WW1. The publication mentions that they played the piano (invisible), the violin (the man with the bow) and the violoncello. This unit was the very same battalion my paternal grandfather served in. However, the real reason for showing this photo here for the first time is to honor one of the best and consistent SS-bloggers: Mike Brubaker! I have always admired his always interesting contributions on the subject of musicians and their instruments. Chapeau! Maybe one day he'll publish his blogs in a book which I will order immediately!

Next to the trio, you see my paternal grandfather presumably with his secretary. His desk displays a huge telephone. In those days, it is 1936, it must have been a significant status symbol. Otherwise, it would have been placed on her desk. SS 151.

Underneath you see a collage of happily wedded couples. It displays the development of wedding fashion during the first half of the 20th century. The bridal dress color evolves from black to white. SS 140.

The lady with the laptop is my Auntie Jo. She was born in 1913, lived to be 101 years old and remained interested in everything around her to the very end. SS 261.

The drawing in the left-hand corner was made by my father on the occasion of the 25-year wedding jubilee of his parents in 1938. It was part of many drawings, all explained in an accompanying poem. It is my grandfather with his newly born first son, my dad, on his knee. Grandpa, as you can see, was in the army and grandma is recuperating in bed. It is August 1914. SS 147.

"Older" Sepians will recognize the lady in the middle of the collage. It is a relative of Alan and her name is Auntie Miriam. She will be in the middle of festivities here on the second Saturday in January, also known as Auntie Miriam Saturday. Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend but Alan, please accept my best wishes for her well being, wherever she may be.

The last picture leaves little doubt about the time of year it was shot. This is Christmas time on board a KLM aircraft in the fifties. SS 157. It serves to accompany my best wishes for the year to come to all Sepians, in particular to Alan and, I hope they will read it, to Kat and Marylin. Cheers! And may we live to see the next 500!

For more festive Sepia Saturday contributions, please click here.

8 comments:

  1. Bravo Peter ! A good collage Sir!
    I too am infequent on SS at the moment ,but it's nice still to touch base again .
    My good wishes to you in 2020
    Best Wishes
    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am in good company! When I saw Alan reached the 500 mark I couldn't resist the opportunity. Maybe we should start a club of infrequent Sepians :-)
    My best wishes to you as well.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always great to have old Sepia Saturday friends return, Peter. I remember some of your stories well, especially the Royal Society of Turtles. I'm also very flattered that you include me in your post, thank you. As it happens, in part because of your past encouragement, there may be a TempoSenzaTempo book this year as I approach my own #500 very soon. I wish you and yours all the best for 2020. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news, Mike, I'll keep an eye on your numbers. If I counted well you are now at 480. So as from halfway May I'll be on the lookout!
    In the meantime I wish you and yours all the best for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to revisit the olden days of Sepia Saturday with you. Maybe I will do a 500 post, although I ran out of new photos to post awhile ago. I do miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very nice to see you here again! Why not give it a try, I'll look forward to your contribution.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year and all the best for a successful year of researching and writing in 2020 - greetings from a fellow occasional Sepia Saturday blogger from Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne and I hope the fires in Australia will be over soon!

      Delete

All comments will be moderated before being published...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...