Saturday 21 July 2012

Sepia Saturday - Dolly Haas

Voor de Nederlandse tekst, zie na de Engelse tekst.
Sepia Saturday, a Kay and Allen invention
My mother was an avid collector of postcards picturing movie stars. To put this hobby in perspective, I am talking about her schooltime period. So the cards are showing the stars of the pre-second World War era such as Greta Garbo, Maurice Chevalier and Lilian Harvey. Many of these cards survived the war and some fifteen removals, an achievement in itself!
The first one I want to put on display is the one showing Dolly Haas, a popular German actress. Germany, and in particular Berlin, was the center of the pre-war movie industry in Europe. She was born in Hamburg, Germany in 1910 and died in New York on September  16, 1994. Being of Jewish descent she came to the States prior to the war. Later she was married to legendary caricaturist Al Hirschfeld. Also she played a part in the Alfred Hichcock film I confess in 1953. The New York Times wrote in her obituary that she was "a petite and vivacious actress on stage and screen" and "a celebrated movie star in Germany with a brief Hollywood career".
In case you wonder what Dolly has to do with my family history and/or my genealogical activities, I have to refer you to the backside of this postcard. There you can see the card was addressed to my mother Fraulein Annie de Langen and mailed to her by her father, my grandfather. The postmark reads July 23, 1933. At that time my mother was 15 years old and on a schooltrip to Harzburg in Germany.  
Just click to see the details of my grandfather's handwriting
The reason why I am portraying this postcard is my grandfather's handwriting. It is so small, almost fragile, but nonetheless it is very legible. At the same time it is highly recognizable. Whenever I see it, I also see his face.
So by showing this postcard here I am linking my mother's hobby with my own favorite sport. What can a mother and son want more ...
Come to think of it, this postcard might contain my grandfather's DNA. Assuming that he attached the stamp in the traditional manner by licking its backside, his DNA may have been preserved there. And that is an intriguing thought...


Samenvatting
Toen mijn moeder nog een schoolmeisje was, spaarde ze enthousiast prentbriefkaarten van filmsterren. Dat waren dan natuurlijk de sterren uit de vooroorlogse periode zoals Greta Garbo, Maurice Chevalier en Lilian Harvey. Gelukkig hebben veel van die kaarten de oorlog overleefd en ook nog zo'n vijftien verhuizingen. Daarom kan ik ze nog op mijn blog laten zien.
De eerste in de rij is er eentje van Dolly Haas, een Duitse actrice van Joodse afkomst. Duitsland, en meer in het bijzonder Berlijn, was voor de oorlog het centrum van de Europese filmindustrie en Duitse sterren waren populair. Dolly werd in 1910 in Hamburg geboren. Waarschijnlijk vanwege haar afkomst, ging zij voor de oorlog naar de V.S. Daar trouwde zij met een bekende cartoonist en speelde in 1953 nog in een film van Alfred Hichcock. Zij overleed op 16 september 1994 in New York. In de New York Times verscheen een lovend in memoriam.


Mocht u zich afvragen wat Dolly met mijn/onze familiegeschiedenis te maken heeft, dan moet ik u naar de achterkant van de kaart verwijzen. Daar ziet u dat de kaart was geadresseerd aan mijn moeder, toen nog Fraulein Annie de Langen. De kaart is geschreven door haar vader, mijn grootvader, op 23 juli 1933. Mijn moeder was toen 15 jaar oud en op schoolreis naar Harzburg in Duitsland. De reden om deze kaart hier te tonen, is het handschrift van mijn grootvader. Dat is zo klein, zo fijn geschreven en toch zo goed leesbaar. Voor mij is het ook heel herkenbaar. Zie ik zijn handschrift, dan zie ik hem.
Verder vind ik het leuk dat deze kaart mijn moeders' vroegere liefhebberij aan mijn hobby genealogie verbindt. Wat kunnen een moeder en zoon nog meer wensen...
Nu ik er over nadenk, zou het best zo kunnen zijn Opa's DNA zich nog op de achterkant van de postzegel bevindt. Tenminste, wanneer ik er vanuit ga dat hij de zegel via een lik van zijn tong op de kaart heeft aangebracht. Een intrigerende gedachte...

1 comment:

  1. Your mother must have had similar interests and ideas as my mother. She found all these postcards when aunties and her mother died and kept them. Many of them were written by them and some even by her grandmother. And one day she passed them all on to me. I have kept some nice ones, but the others my daughter sold to a collector's shop, mainly because of the postmarks and stamps.
    I might put some on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated before being published...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...