The KLM headoffice in The Hague has been designed by Dirk Roosenburg (1887-1962), an architect born and bred in The Hague. He knew KLM "founder" Albert Plesman since his youth and in 1936 Mr. Plesman asked him to make the office design. Much earlier, in 1919, the architect had been asked to make a design for the first KLM logo, which he did.
The first wing of the new headoffice was made available to KLM in 1940. During the war all building activities came to a stop but in 1946 building continued. At that time the picture below was taken. Today the building is owned by the Ministry of Traffic and Waterways.
|The first wing of the KLM HQ in The Hague in 1946.|
Further extensions have been built to the left.
The concrete structures alongside the road, are remains
from the war viz. anti tank obstacles.
|Unloading baggage from the PK-CTD, a Consolidated Catalina.|
Note the KLM logo on the aircraft's nose.
|Newspaper article from the Utrechts|
Nieuwsblad April 23, 1947
|The Van der Dussen family boarding the KLM Lockheed Constellation|
PH-TAU "Venlo" at Schiphol Airport on April 24, 1947.
Note the KLM stewardesses carrying the cradles in which the baby twin was "seated".
|Douglas DC-2 line up and boarding passengers at Schiphol Airport|